After several iterations with code and experiments with body positions, here’s the final version of the Quadropod for your judgement. Controlled over Bluetooth with a general purpose controller Android app.
Today I focused on several things:
- Converted functional code into classes
- Extracted general purpose pieces like the driver and the module to prepare move sequence buffers into a library
- Built the rest of the custom code on top of it
- Made the bot go back a step
- Made an improvement to how the step is made which increased precision
- Updated calculations to take the base piece length into account. Next comes turning, and this will become handy.
Rework of the code is complete. Now it’s completely based on the timer interrupt. I must admit, it’s a huge difference in the way motion feels and is programmed. The level of control over what happens and when is tremendous. Exciting!
After a bit of experimentation I finally figured that working with servos from the main program loop is not very efficient and precise. The main issue I’ve been facing is synchronous and controlled rotation of several servos to different angles.
Short recording of the first baby steps. Woo hoo!
Parts printing and assembly has finished. After initial calibration, I’m now writing simple scripts to see the limits of the platform. We started with push ups: